Social Icons

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Obsession

The theater has always been a wonder to me. Growing up near Stratford, On, which is pretty well known for it's Shakespeare Festival Theater, I've always loved going to the fabulous plays they put on. My favourites thus far being The King and I and Oliver!. They do amazing musicals!



For the past few years, Christopher Plummer has been starring in a few of the plays, (for those of you who don't know, Christopher Plummer played Captain Von Trapp in the movie Sound of Music) and I cannot wait to see him onstage!


There's something about musicals that just make me so happy. I can't stop smiling, and the tunes are stuck in my head for weeks! Then I buy the soundtrack, movie, and whatever else I can get my hands on! I've always dreamed of getting up on stage and performing, however have never attempted it. I have the greatest respect for actors. I've heard that the reason the characters start singing is because they've reached such an emotional state of being that words just aren't enough, and clearly hearing the words in song is a bazillion times better!

Below I've posted two videos from youtube. Both are written and performed by the same group, StarKid, a bunch of graduated Michigan College kids. I've only put on Act One Scene One from each play, but I think you'll get the idea.

The first one is a musical they wrote called a Very Potter Musical. I was a bit skeptical at first, since I wasn't really a Harry Potter fan, however they changed it all up and made it absolutely hilarious!





The second video is from a play they wrote called 'Me and My Dick'. OMG. Hilarious! How people think this stuff up is beyond me! They wrote the entire musical themselves. Like I said, this is just A1S1, and it just gets more and more hilarious as it goes on!



Essentially, what it comes down to is my intense love and obsession with all things musical. The story, the emotion, the intensity. I heart it all!

No comments: